Monday, June 23, 2008

Off Topic


Last night, this world lost a great man. A man who shaped my humor as a young child, George Carlin. The comedian passed away in a Los Angeles hospital at the age of 71 due to a heart failure. Carlin was the pioneer of the 7 dirty words you can't say on television, and bits on religion, politics, and common human error. Even though this is a sad day, Carlin would not want the world to be sad for him. In fact, he would probably ask for a joke or at the very least, just be happy that he lead a life that made people laugh. I won't go as far as making a joke about the guy but, he did make me laugh and he definitely opened my eyes to a funny world when I was in middle school.

On top of a great stand-up career he also lead a pretty solid movie/television career. He was the conductor of my younger brother's favorite childhood show, Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends, as the mini-conductor at Shining Time station. He was Rufus, the righteous and rockin' character from the Bill and Ted movies that also starred Keanu Reeves and...other guy. Carlin also had his own show, the George Carlin Show, though I don't remember much about this one as it aired when I was in 4th grade. Other notable Carlin appearances were Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Scary Movie 3, Jersey Girl, Tarzan II, and Cars.

RIP George...you will always be remembered as someone who truly saw the world from a different angle and enlightened all of us with those visions and thoughts. I will leave you with this quote, I may not agree with it but, it still is funny and it shows how his mind worked.

To my way of thinking there are really only three sports: baseball, basketball, and football. Everything else is either a game or an activity. Hockey comes to mind. People think hockey is a sport. It's not. Hockey is three activities taking place at the same time: ice skating, fooling around with a puck, and beating the shit out of somebody. If these guys had more brains then teeth, they'd do these things one at a time. First go ice-skating, then fool around with a puck, then you go to the bar and beat the shit out of somebody. The day would last longer, and these guys would have a lot more fun. Another reason why hockey isn't a sport is that it's not played with a ball. Anything not played with a ball can't be a sport. These are my rules, I make 'em up.


RIP George Carlin: May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008

No comments: