Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Ward Re-signs


Aaron Ward and Boston Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli have agreed to a multi-year deal. Ward, apparently, was seeking two years. There is no word on the monetary value of the contract.

***Update*** 8:40 pm

As I was about to get in my car for a two hour trip home I randomly went to the Bruins website and noticed it so, I figured I would get this up just to get it out there. Now, here's my take.

McKeon's Take- I really like this move by Chiarelli. I believe that Ward is one of those guys you need in the locker room, like Sean Casey in the Red Sox clubhouse. Whenever I hear an interview with Mr. Root beer (A&W, Aaron Ward, get it? Sorry about that) he seemed like a down to earth guy who understands all aspects of hockey and someone who just loves the game. The guy has balls of steel and is a total gamer. The reason he is so "injury prone" is because of the aforementioned attribute. That's Bruins hockey, balls to the wall, petal to the metal, etc. and I will take that on my team any day of the week and I think coach Julien realizes this. I am glad he will be back but, I will determine the overall success of the deal by the cap hit. I am sure it will not be much but, PC does have to make some moves to be able to bring in some fresh blood to score some goals.

***Update*** 9:59 pm

Aaron Ward was given a 2 year deal while 2.5 million will be added to the 2008-2009 cap number. After giving Ward that much money, I would expect a salary shredding move to be made by either trade or buyout...However, a Boston/Hossa relationship just slipped further out of sight...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great news "IF" the cap hit is low.

Let's face it... lack of scoring hurt this team and they need a proven goal scorer in order to make something happen next year. I like Ward and am interested in seeing at what number they signed him.

I am also interested in seeing their interest in seeing if the Bs have any interest in Avery. As much as a PITA this guy is he may actually be a great fit for the Bs at a low cap hit, especially if they can manage to move some other salary to get him here. Of course, they still would need someone else.

Not a perfect science, by any means.