Sunday, July 12, 2009

Bruins Sign Free Agent Veteran


This is a little bit delayed but, I came across this signing today as a peruse the internet amidst a lazy Sunday. Anyhow, on Friday, the Bruins signed Trent Whitfield to a two year, two-way contract. The center, who was the captain for the Peoria Rivermen for the past few seasons, seemed to be a very hot commodity in the Rivermen locker room.

Dave Eminian of the Peoria Journal Star stated that the team "suffered a major loss" and that the team is losing it's "best player."

Sure it's the best player on a marginal AHL team in a fairly unsettled organization but, it's a character signing and obviously not the signing of the next big thing. Sidenote: St. Louis is definitely on it's way up and I absolutely love what John Davidson brings to the table, I kind of wish he was still commentating.

“Boston needed veteran players, and they needed guys in the middle, and they have guys injured who might not make it back for the start of the season,” Whitfield, 32, said. “I have a chance to stay with them."
I'm not sure where he got the idea that Boston is short on centers but, I like his attitude and from what I read, I approve highly of this signing. I love having guys like this down in Providence to help the youngsters along. Nicely done Peter Chiarelli.

No comments: